Thursday, July 2, 2009

Medical ... And the training?

This time I speak of something that affects us all and the afflicted, to health. In this broad theme, I focus on me in our medical profession, about the matter raised in the "Love" that I saw yesterday on TV, with Júlio Machado Vaz Grabiela and Moita. Gabriela said it is a completely unacceptable that a health professional discuss the sexuality of their patients with a question like "have you girlfriend?". This short and simple question itself shows a bias and a (natural) to address and on the assumption that whoever is ahead of us is heterosexual ... Nothing more wrong, and then fully agree with the view of Gabriela ... To whom is gay and for some reason have difficulty in assuming that the worst that can happen is someone in whom he would rely, from a principle so discriminate ... Gabriela said still, that the fault is not only of health professionals, the training they receive in college, does not address how to how to address the professional a given topic, in this case sexuality with their patients and how should lead the dialogue ... Still fully agree! 

And yet about it, and by total coincidence, today (unfortunately) had to drive me to a health center of my desktop, due to intense pain in the back. I confess that I always have some fear, as I happen to most people in this country, the way will be met and who I will go out in the "raffle". There I was, and I in a little over 10 minutes was being served ... Tell you now as this consultation with Dr. Margarida Rodrigues: (U.S.) - Morning ... (SHE) - Good day! Sit ... How old are you? (U.S.) - I have 28 years ... (SHE) - Not included in this center why? (ME) - Although I am not signed up, and this is not my area of residence ... (SHE) - There is a family doctor? (ME) - No. .. I had but now I have! (SHE) - But you must get ... Where is placed? (ME) - I entered the village where I lived ... (SHE) - But look here, you must register and get a family doctor! (ME) - Yes .. (SHE) - What if complaint? (ME) - I have back pain ... (She begins to write immediately ...) (SHE)-But it is local or extends to the rest of the body? (ME) - is local ... (SHE) - Want to shot? (I was  with the question ...) (ME) - Excuse me? (SHE) - Want to shot? (ME) - I do not understand ... (SHE) - So, do not come here to get an injection for pain? (I could not disguise my  numb... I chapfallen ...) (EU) - I came here to learn what I have in the back ... (Answer pushing it a role in my direction ...) (SHE) - Ahhh. But here there is no analysis of the problem. You must do this in a family doctor ... Thank you and best, you got the recipe. (Watch for the recipe, and had four boxes of who knows what is there to go buy, and left) (EU) - Morning ... You hear many stories of these, but when we ourselves gives us to think ... Gabriela spoke to (and very well) lack of training in the approach of the patient regarding their sexuality ... Because this case was not personal or professional training (or at least the doctor did not apply at all) to receive me ... Could have staged at least some interest in my case, the feeler or watching my back ... But no, these are professionals we have, and unfortunately that is the idea that only a minority can not be included in this bag ... And I will receive with the story wrong, or have poor working conditions ... This case that presence today was purely and simply an "be spray is for the person who was sitting there ... And this is for me a matter of personality, good sense and education. I forgot (how to forget the majority of the Portuguese) that I have the right to be assisted, because taxes pay for this, and that although this is normal in our country we should never forget that this is not at all treatment for any patient deserved! So it should have left my indignation at this Yellow Book, but I do not remember .. Stay here to register! :)

1 comment:

Little John said...

Hmmmm...isto faz-me lembrar um situação caricata, pela qual passei!
Fui ao CAT fazer o teste VIH, e só após um questionário interminável, é que me perguntaram a orientação sexual! É escusado dizer que tive que refazer tudo de novo, porque a maioria das perguntas estavam adaptadas a pessoas "normais"....